Zipangu Japanese Restaurant (Ala-Carte) @Shangri-La Hotel KL

Once again with DJ Sakura hanging out together and chatting craps again. Hopefully she already resigned by now. I always wanted to go to Zipangu and I thought of wanting to bring May Lynne here instead last time...too bad she missed the chance. So here I am with DJ Sakura. At first, I thought they are having their buffet during the dinner time who knows is only available on weekends lunch only. I should have get my info right! Never mind, let's dine it anyway since the waitress said that American Express Platinum card has the same benefit as their Shang card where dining for 2 pax will enjoy 50% discount at any restaurant in Shangri-La KL. FYI, the membership fee for the Shang card is RM738.00 per annum. Gosh!

We were there early as they are only opened at 6.30pm onward for their evening session.
Since we were there early, we took the opportunity to grab some photos of the luxury hotel. I hope to bring my kids here next time to play this maze.
Chef at work! Cutting of the best part from the beef. I do not eat beef so I do not get the chance to taste how good they are. There are beef Sashimi available...well I prefer fish Sashimi.
This is their Sushi & Sashimi counter.
We are ready to dine!
Onigiri Shake @RM10.00++
Outlook: 3/5
Creativity: 2/5
Taste: 3/5
Price: 3/5
Overall: 2/5 - I always wanted to have Onigiri as I watched too much of Japanese drama. However, not many restaurant served that. Luckily Zipangu does served them! However, the looks of it is not what I have seen in those drama. Haha...seems like Onigiri in the drama looks nicer. This Onigiri is quite big in size and it has full of cooked salmon meat inside. A person can easily full by just having only this.

Soft Shell Crab Temaki @RM20.00++
Outlook: 3/5
Creativity: 3/5
Taste: 3/5
Price: 2/5
Overall: 2/5 - The soft shell crab was not bad even though it is a little over deep fried. This temaki has more ingredients in it than just their vinegar rice.

Foie Tougan @RM25.00
Outlook: 3/5
Creativity: 4/5
Taste: 4/5
Price: 4/5
Overall: 3/5 - I wonder if this is a real foie gras because it is so cheap. Consider the cheapest I had so far and some more I am dining at Zipangu. After tasting it, yes...it has the foie gras taste but unbelievable cheap. The bottom of the foie gras is the winter melon.

Sashimi Moriawase @RM280.00 + 2 Fresh Oysters @RM6.00/each
Outlook: 5/5
Creativity: 5/5
Taste: 5/5
Price: 4/5
Overall: 4/5 - As always, I ordered fish only and they customized to our needs. 7 different kinds of fishes with 4 pieces each. Even the most expensive Toro is included. If to compare with Kampachi, this Sashimi Moriawase is way way more worth it. About the fish freshness, I will say is tip top and I have no complain at all.

The fresh oyster is not in their menu. Specially ordered and they are so delicious. We wish we have ordered a dozen instead because they are so fresh. I can't taste any fishy smell in it.
Closer shot on each of the Sashimi displayed here.
Yummy Toro!!!
Among all the fishes, I always dislike most is the Maguro (Tuna). I do not know why somehow they are not really tasty enough no matter which restaurant I have been until at Zipangu, I am sure Maguro is still a good fish to eat. Look at the way they cut the Maguro, It is holding each other without broken it no matter how we picked it up. This way of preparing the Maguro is the best! I really taste the sweetness of the Maguro meat in it.
Somen @RM35.00++
Outlook: 4/5
Creativity: 4/5
Taste: 3/5
Price: 1/5
Overall: 2/5 - The somen is sticking each other and very hard to pick it up. It is not the usual Somen I used to eat. However, I have to give the credit to the sauce. The sauce contains alcohol in it and is the only restaurant so far I have taste alcohol in their sauce. Really unique and delicious. I should have order a Cha Soba instead.

No quail egg given like other Japanese restaurants but they have delicious mushrooms.
Gindara Kousou @RM60.00++
Outlook: 3/5
Creativity: 4/5
Taste: 4/5
Price: 2/5
Overall: 3/5 - This is a fish meat which I prefer them to serve it earlier instead the last because the gravy is so sourish and it opens up our appetite again. We wished to have a Japanese rice to serve together with this dish.

Japanese Melon @RM120.00++
Outlook: 4/5
Creativity: 4/5
Taste: 4/5
Price: 1/5
Overall: 3/5 - Since our appetite has been opened up again after the previous dish, so we have a dessert to finalize our day at Zipangu. Once again, we ordered something which is not in the menu which is their Japanese melon. This is the most expensive Japanese melon I have come across. I thought Kampachi already scored the highest, who will think of a slice of Japanese melon can breach RM100 mark. Only crazy like me will wanna try so as you can see I did. Same melon same sweetness same delicious. Just overpriced. That's all. I rather choose Fukuya for their Japanese melon next time.

Is a new experience for her and I hope she enjoy every single bite of it.
As I thought I am having the 50% discount privilege from my Platinum American Express Card, the waitress told me that I am holding the Maybankcard 2 Card Amex Platinum which is not the same with the Platinum American Express Card. OMG! They said that is a promotional card and it is different. Disappointed to the max! Well, just pay the full sum then and this has recorded as my most expensive Japanese dining I ever had which previously was Kampachi. As for the conclusion for this restaurant, I really like this restaurant. Apart of the hefty price, nothing much to complain about. Maybe I hope they provide a more personalized service by serving the dish accordingly to our appetite instead of throwing everything we have ordered on the table.
Total Damage: RM651.90
Ambiance: 4/5
Service: 3/5
Food Serving Speed: Moderate
Will I Revisit?: Yes

Zipangu
Shangri-La Hotel (KL)
11, Jalan Sultan Ismail,
50250 KL
Tel: 03-20322388
Business Hours: 12.00pm - 2.30pm; 6.30pm - 10.30pm (daily)

Popular posts from this blog

Hawker Center @Jalan MacAlister, Penang

Sports Shooting Club Hatyai (SSC)

Kedai Kopi Lotus, Kota Kinabalu

Bao Seng Durian Farm, Balik Pulau

Marini's on 57 @KLCC

Restoran Goon Wah, Kuchai Lama

Aroii Thai @Shaftsbury Square

Tasik Biru Kangkar Pulai, Johor Bahru

Restoran Hin Kee Hong Kong Dim Sum, SS2

Champ's Bowling Centre, Sandakan